Britain today recorded its highest number of coronavirus deaths in four months after another 150 victims were announced.
Department of Health statistics show the grim milestone hasn’t been reached since June 10 when 164 lab-confirmed coronavirus deaths were announced.
It is also a surge of 85 per cent compared to last Saturday, when 81 deaths were registered, and a rise of 16 from yesterday’s toll of 136 victims.
Health chiefs today posted another 16,171 cases, up only six per cent on the figure recorded last Saturday (15,166), in a sign that the UK’s coronavirus outbreak may be beginning to slow. As many as 15,650 more positive tests were added to the tally yesterday.
Although still rising, 우리카지노쿠폰 the number of deaths from the virus remains miles off the levels seen at the height of the pandemic when more than 1,000 were being registered every day at the beginning of April.
It comes as a model by Cambridge University predicts the UK could suffer more than 690 Covid-19 deaths a day in November as infections spread into older parts of the population, who are more at risk from the virus.
And more than half of the population wake up under tightened coronavirus restrictions – with London entering tier two curbs and Lancashire joining Liverpool in tier three, 우리카지노 but with gyms still allowed to open.
But the Prime Minister is still resisting calls from Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer and 우리카지노 regional mayors for a nationwide ‘circuit breaker’ lockdown to be initiated over the half-term break.
As the deaths were announced today:
- Liverpool mayor Joe Anderson revealed his eldest brother Bill had died from coronavirus after being admitted to intensive care;
- Boris Johnson reportedly backed down from imposing tighter restrictions in Manchester as he feared they would not be enforced by police;
- Traffic flowed freely between England and Wales on the first day of its travel ban on people from English coronavirus hotspots;
- Scientists say up to one million Britons could be tested for 메리트카지노쿠폰 Covid-19 a day after Christmas as manufacturers get closer to delivering Moonshot testing target;
- Jacinda Ardern wins a landslide victory in New Zealand 메리트카지노 after eliminating Covid-19 in the country through draconian lockdown restrictions;
- The UK has recorded a total of 43,579 Covid-19 fatalities and 705,428 positive cases of the virus since the pandemic first struck at the start of this year.
Some 136 deaths were recorded yesterday, 우리카지노쿠폰 but scientists have warned this could rise to 690 by the end of the month
Yesterday the Government announced there had been 15,650 lab-confirmed cases in the past 24 hours, but experts warn this is not an accurate indicator of the overall scale of the epidemic
The first map shows the percentage change in coronavirus cases between September 28 and October 4, while the one underneath shows the percentage change in Covid-19 cases between October 5 and 11.
This is a clear sign the UK’s second wave may be slowing down